ROXUK00023 – Material Rheologist
Test & Evaluation Manager
Salary and Additional Benefits:
Competitive salary, Perkbox, contributory pension. Free parking, subsidised canteen
25 + statutory days per annum pro-rata
Hours of Work:
08.00-16.30 Monday to Thursday (30mns lunch break)
08.00-13.00 Friday (no lunch break)
Roxel is an Anglo-French company that designs, develops and manufactures solid propellant rocket motors for use in tactical missiles. Its operations are spread across several sites in the UK and France and it has an annual turnover of about £100M and nearly 700 staff.
The UK operations are entirely based at Summerfield, Kidderminster, where we have a vacancy for a Material Rheologist to work withing the engineering team reporting to the Test and Evaluation manager.
The role will cover inert and energetic materials testing and evaluation where relevant experience in inert material science is expected as a minimum. Candidates interested in moving into this new and exciting field are encouraged to apply. Appropriate development and training will be provided.
The successful candidate will work as part of the wider Roxel team on all phases of the project life cycle including design, demonstration, development, production and customer support. Extensive testing is carried out on materials, components and complete rocket motors to gather design data and verify performance. Opportunities are available to work and lead on new research programmes investigating new advances in rocket motor material technology.
Specific responsibilities will include, but will not be limited to the following:
– Construct rheological material test matrices for development, qualification, production proof, surveillance, investigations, material qualifications
– Prepare and conduct tests and trials in accordance with current and future processes.
– Knowledge of general rheological tests (Tensile testing, DMTA, DSC, TMA, Bond testing).
– Rheological analysis to determine mechanical properties.
– Trend analysis of material batch’s mechanical properties.
– Understand inert, energetic and bonding material behaviour and failure modes.
– Develop new material test techniques.
– Provide input to technical and customer reports including reference to material mechanical properties e.g. development, qualification, surveillance.
– Advise on equipment setup and upgrades.
– Available to consult on all projects and relevant investigations.
– Ensure compliance with Health and Safety Legislation, Risk Assessments, COSHH
– Educated with a relevant Materials Science degree
– Experience in materials test and evaluation with 3 years minimum experience
– Strong mathematical and physics capability
– Relevant experience with energetic material science is not expected but beneficial
– Inter personal skills
– Problem solving skills
– Decision maker
– The ability to commit to delivering tasks on time
– Professional work output standard
– Team player
– Be able to multitask
– Proficient and confident communicator